Recipe: Winter Spiced Porridge
Serves 1 (adult) – 2 (small portions)
- 40g normal porridge oats
- 220ml milk, or your usual milk
- 1 apple, cored and grated with the skin on
- pinch of ground mixed spice*
- 1 whole pear, peeled and chopped
*this is a mix of ~ ground cinnamon, ground coriander, caraway, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
- Cook the porridge oats with milk (roughly 40g with 220ml milk, or water).
- Three minutes from the end of the cooking time, add the chopped pear and grated apple, the fruit will naturally sweeten the porridge and cook into the oats.
- Also add a pinch of ground mixed spice, which smells and tastes of Christmas. If you don’t have ground mixed spice a pinch of ground cinnamon is perfect.
I served these with some maple roasted pears: as a nice twist for adults. Just prep pears: core and cut into pieces, then roast in a pan with a little butter and maple syrup until golden.