Easy Homemade Stew Recipes for Your Baby
3 min read
As the weather starts to get a bit chillier, a nice hearty stew is perfect for your little one! These stew-based weaning recipes are hassle-free, packed with veg and guaranteed to warm little bellies and hearts! We cover a mix of meat and veggie recipes to cater for all tastes and keep budding foodies happy.
Roast Chicken Stew
Depending on how you make it, this chicken stew can be suitable for little ones aged 6 months and older. You could puree this or leave as big chunks that are perfect for finger food sized mouthfuls!
You Will Need
• 2 chicken thighs
• ¼ onion (chopped)
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 2 carrots (diced)
• 1 celery stalk (diced)
• 1 potato (diced)
• ¼ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp dried thyme
• 1tbsp tomato paste
• 250ml chicken stock
- Preheat your oven at 200C and roast the chicken for about 30 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- When done, remove the meat from the bone and chop into small pieces.
- In a pan, cook the onion in the olive oil until soft. Add all of the other ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for around 20 minutes.
- Serve as-is, or mash or puree until smooth depending on the age of your little one.
Simple Beef Stew
This dish can be made for little ones aged 8 months and up. As an Autumn staple, this stew is sure to comfort but can be easily customised and spiced up if you fancy a break from tradition. Add different spices and herbs of your choice to give this classic an individual twist!
You Will Need
• 300g stewing beef (cut into small chunks)
• 1 carrot (peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces)
• 1 celery stalk (cut into 2-inch pieces)
• 100g butternut squash (peeled and diced)
• ½ small onion (peeled and chopped)
• 100g onion
• 3 springs of fresh thyme
• 50g plain white flour
• 22ml beef stock
- Coat the chunks of beef and chopped vegetables in flour.
- Put the flour-coated ingredients into a casserole dish.
- Add the thyme and stock.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a gentle simmer on the hob.
- Continue simmering for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Add your mushrooms and simmer for a further 30 minutes with the lid off.
Country Vegetable Stew
Another warming and veggie-packed dish, this recipe is suitable from 9 months and up.
You Will Need
• 1 leek (chopped into bite-sized pieces)
• 2 carrots (chopped)
• 2 potatoes (chopped)
• 1 courgette (chopped)
• 2 slices of bread
• 30g cheddar cheese (grated)
• 1tbsp chive
• 300ml vegetable stock
• 2tbsp cornflour
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Put all of your chopped vegetables into a casserole dish.
- Pour the stock into the dish and cook in the oven for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Meanwhile, tear the bread into small chunks, or blitz in a food processor.
- When the vegetables are soft, sprinkle with the cornflour. Cover with the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Return your dish to the oven with the lid off and cook for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Mash and serve!
Tasty Moroccan Stew
This stew, suitable for ages 10 months and up, is bursting with new flavours to pique the interest of budding foodies; there are so many flavours and textures to explore!
You Will Need
• A splash of rapeseed oil
• 2 small onions (finely chopped)
• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
• 1 inch ginger (grated)
• 3tbsp tomato puree
• 2 tins chopped tomatoes
• 1ltr vegetable stock
• 2tsp dried cumin
• 2tsp dried coriander
• 2tsp cinnamon
• 1tsp dried turmeric
• 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
• 2 carrots (cubed)
• 2 peppers (chopped)
• 1 courgette (cubed)
• 2 400g tins chickpeas
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Before they have turned brown, add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock and spices. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers, courgettes and chickpeas. Stir until you see bubbles.
- Reduce to a low heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Mash the soft vegetables slightly, especially the chickpeas, and serve!
For more recipes that satisfy your little one's taste buds, explore our handy ‘recip-ease’ tab!