Scones are one of the easiest things you can bake at home - no fancy equipment or ingredients needed! They offer a soft, fluffy texture and make a great base for you to add lots of different, new flavours to.
These baby-led weaning favourites can be enjoyed with fruit or made with a savoury twist, perfect for budding foodies and the rest of the family!
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 100g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 200ml milk or milk alternative
- Optional: handful of sultanas or any other dried fruit
- For savoury scones: add grated cheese and spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and prepare two baking trays by lining them with parchment.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl. With your fingertips, rub in the cubes of butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. If including additional ingredients, do so at this point.
- Slowly mix in the milk until you have a soft dough. Knead for a minute or two until the dough is smooth, and turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to a 2-3cm thickness and cut out rounds with a 5cm cutter. You could also use different shaped cutters to entice little foodies with more exciting shapes.
- Transfer the scones onto the baking sheets and cook for 15 minutes until golden.
- Serve with natural yoghurt if desired.