This basic, vegan-friendly recipe is so versatile, you can enjoy it as-is for a light lunch, use as a side dish or share with your baby during stage 2 weaning.
Try adding roasted pumpkin and croutons, or avocado and grated courgette.
1 handful of your favourite nuts
1 tbsp ground seeds of your choice (flaxseed or pumpkin is good)
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp mustard (any will do)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
salt and pepper (to taste)
- Strip the leaves from the kale and break into small pieces.
- Add the seeds, a small squeeze of lemon (save the rest for the dressing), 1 tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt and rub into the leaves for 3-5 minutes.
- Don’t be afraid to give them a really good rub as this breaks up the structure of the kale and makes it easier to digest.
- It feels odd at first to rub greens, but it really does make a difference to the texture (you could prepare this in the morning and leave it in the fridge until lunchtime).
- Add the remaining ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing on the kale and top with any extra ingredients that you fancy. Keeps well in the fridge for a few days but it’s at its best the day you make it!