This Thai Green Chicken Curry is perfect for the whole family, including babies during Stage 2 weaning! Less than 30 minutes to prep and cook, it's a great option for busy families.
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
300g chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
200g pumpkin, diced
1 can coconut milk
1 stick lemongrass, bruised
3 or 4 kaffir lime leaves
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
juice of a lime
a handful of chopped coriander
Optional: prik nam pla (thai chilli fish sauce), green chilllies, thai basil.
Serve with brown rice and lime wedges
- Add a splash of oil to your pan and place over a medium heat, add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute, then add the chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, lemongrass and Kaffir lime leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the broccoli, peas, lime juice and coriander and cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves before serving.
- For the grown ups add a splash of fish sauce (this is too salty to serve to your little ones) and garnish with lime leaves, chillies and thai basil (if you can get hold of it).
- Serve with brown rice and lime wedges.
Can Babies Have Thai Curry?
While you might think curry is an odd thing to offer a baby, our little ones are more open to new flavours and taste sensations than you might anticipate! The sooner you introduce interesting new ingredients to a weaning baby’s plate, the more likely they are to try it and enjoy it as they get older.
It’s absolutely fine to give a seven-month-old baby (in stage 2 weaning) herbs and spices, such as coriander, paprika, cardamom, cinnamon, chives and parsley, which are commonly found in curry dishes. Aromatic spices and ingredients are fantastic, as they offer interesting new flavours for an adventurous palate, without overwhelming them with spicy heat.
Babies shouldn’t be given chillies, as they are too spicy for little mouths; instead, they should be introduced slowly at an older age. Our Thai Green Chicken Curry is perfect for families, as the aromatic weaning chicken curry can be added to baby’s bowl, while mum and dad can add chillies and spicier ingredients to their own plate for an extra kick of flavour.