Squash is a great addition to any weaning recipe. It has a deliciously sweet flavour and is packed with veggie goodness!
This easy risotto can be enjoyed by the whole family - it is also easily customisable, allowing you to experiment with other vegetables and bring exciting new flavours and textures to your little one’s baby weaning meals.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced into cubes
- 800ml low salt vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150g risotto rice
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 200g tomatoes, chopped
- Grated cheddar cheese to serve
- Start by cutting the butternut squash into small cubes and place into a pan containing around a third of the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the squash is soft and most of the stock has been absorbed.
- While the squash is cooking, take another large pan and fry the onion with the butter and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Once your squash is cooked, add it to the pan with the onions along with the rice and oregano.
- Slowly add the remaining stock one ladle at a time, stirring continuously - it will take around 25 minutes until the rice is cooked. You can add extra water to get your rice to the right consistency if needed.
- While your rice mixture is cooking on a low heat, saute the tomatoes for a couple of minutes before adding them to the finished risotto.
- Top with grated cheese to serve. For babies not ready for larger lumps, you can blend the risotto until smooth. You could also form the risotto into balls before leaving to cool for a fantastic finger food!