This stew, suitable for ages 10 months and up, is bursting with new flavours to pique the interest of budding foodies; there’s just so much to explore!
For an even broader exploration of flavours, you could top this stew with a dollop of creamy yoghurt.
A splash of rapeseed oil
2 small onions (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 inch ginger (grated)
3tbsp tomato puree
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1ltr vegetable stock
2tsp dried cumin
2tsp dried coriander
1tsp dried turmeric
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
2 carrots (cubed)
2 peppers (chopped)
1 courgette (cubed)
2 400g tins of chickpeas
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Before they have turned brown, add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock and spices. Stir well to combine.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, peppers, courgettes and chickpeas. Stir until you see bubbles.
- Reduce to a low heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Mash the soft vegetables slightly, especially the chickpeas, and serve!