If you’re a fan of oatcakes, then you’ll love this recipe. If you're not, then you will be after tasting these! Full of vitamin B1, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc,they go well with cheese and chutney, or try one with nut butter and a dash of jam. Remember to leave out thesalt if you’re giving these to your little ones.
240g gluten free oats
40g ground flaxseeds
40g olive oil or butter (even coconutoil works!)
pinch of salt
120-180 ml boiling water (varies from oat to oat)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ Gas 3. Pop all the ingredients apart from the water in a food processor and blitz until you have breadcrumbs, depending how fine you like your oatcakes.
- Whilst the blender is still running, slowly add the boiling water until a soft dough is formed. Leave to rest for 2 minutes to allow all the oats to swell, and add more water if needed.
- Sandwich the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll to about as thick as a pound coin. Then cut into diamonds.
- Discard the top sheet of baking paper, cut in to diamonds, place on the baking tray and cook for 30 minutes until crisp.
- Leave to cool, then store in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
More recipes for you and your family to cook at home.